Cinnamon rolls are a go-to staple for a gooey, delicious treat for breakfast or really anytime.
I love the smell of the warm cinnamon wafting through the house. As you know, traditional Paleo cinnamon rolls are extremely high in processed sugar, processed flour and usually contain hydrogenated vegetable oil also known as trans fat (which isn’t healthy at any quantity).
If you like to buy cinnamon rolls from a tube (yes, they are delicious), you might want to think again. Bread products in the refrigerator (in the cute little tubes) are one of the highest concentrations of hydrogenated oil of any food in the grocery store.
No amount of hydrogenated oil has been found to be good for you. Make sure to check the ingredients for the word “hydrogenated” because if the amount is under 1 gram, then manufacturers do not have to list the amount in the nutrition facts chart.
The other option for cinnamon rolls is to make them yourself. These are a little time consuming, but definitely worth the wait and time involved. Perfect for a special morning such as a birthday, holiday, or even a lazy morning.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
CINNAMON BREAKFAST PALEO ROLLS
FOR THE CINNAMON ROLLS
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- pinch salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cup coconut oil or ghee
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 large egg at room temperature
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp clove powder
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp dry cranberry
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts and almonds
FOR THE ICING
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tsp honey
- splash vanilla
- Whisk together the coconut oil, egg, honey, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Combine all spices in a bowl – set aside.
- Transfer the dough onto a sheet of wax paper. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and roll.
- Remove the top sheet of wax paper. Sprinkle with the mix of spices, drizzle with honey, top with the chopped walnuts, almonds, and cranberries.
- Use the wax paper to roll the dough into a log.
- Preheat the oven to 400F(200C) degrees.
- Slice the log individual pieces, about 8 rolls. Place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Make the glaze by stirring together the honey and coconut cream. Once the rolls are golden, remove from the oven and drizzle with glaze. Serve warm.