Having your old-school favorite, spaghetti and meatballs, may be quite challenging for Paleo enthusiasts. Worry no more with this Paleo Spaghetti & Meatballs recipe.
SPAGHETTI SQUASH & MEATBALLS
Yield: 4 ServingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 45 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium spaghetti squash halved lengthwise and seeded
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup homemade crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cup ground beef
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- chili pepper
- 1 egg
- For the squash and sauce: Preheat the oven to 392 degrees F and place a rack in the oven.
- Rub 1/2 tablespoon of the oil on each cut-side of the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash cut-side up on a baking sheet and roast until fork tender, about 1 hour.
- Cool the squash for at least 10 minutes.
- Scrape the tines of a fork lengthwise along the flesh of the squash to pull out the long, thin strands.
- While the squash cooks, make the sauce.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, and chili.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- For the meatballs: Combine the ground beef, chopped onions, salt, pepper, garlic and egg in a large bowl.
- Form about the meatballs.
- Place the meatballs in the sauce and simmer until firm to the touch and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Top with chopped scallions.
Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 6gSugar: 13gProtein: 29g© Callie SnowCategory: Recipes