Sardines have excellent health benefits and are tasty as well. I know, when I first heard about sardines, I was hesitant to try them. But time and time again, I read about the anti-inflammatory properties of sardines, as well as, the high omega-3, which is great from everything to skin health to preventing cancer. Honestly, if you like canned tuna fish (but maybe find it a little dry), this oily fish is a great alternative.
Some things about buying sardines:
- Make sure that they are skinless and boneless. There are still a few tiny, tiny bones, but they just make the fish a little crunchy. The ones that still have the skin and full bones still scare me a little bit (especially to eat!).
- Buy sardines that are packed in oil. The ones that I usually buy are in olive oil. Yes, they are an oily fish, but the ones packed in water just don’t taste as good.
So, this really isn’t a cooking recipe as a great snack or breakfast idea. Often times, I have a little basil plant in the house, and a trim off a basil leaf and fill it with sardines…. so simple, but so delicious. Sometimes I put hot sauce or tomato with the sardine filling, or mix the sardines with some Paleo mayo to create a “sardine salad” with the basil. Really the sky is the limit with this little snack gem.
1 package of sardines (boneless, skinless and packed in oil)
1/4 cup of Paleo Mayo (we will have a recipe soon on the site)
1 tomato, sliced (any type will do. Each type has a slightly different texture and taste, so experiment with different types)
8-10 basil leaves
Mix Paleo Mayo with sardines in a bowl. Place a little bit of the “sardine salad” into each basil leaf.
Place tomato slice on the top.
- 1 package sardines boneless, skinless and packed in a Paleo-approved oil
- 1/4 cup Paleo Mayo recipe to be posted soon
- 1 sliced tomato any type of tomato - each has a different flavor and texture
- 8-10 basil leaves
- Mix Paleo Mayo with sardines in a bowl.
- Place a little bit of the "sardine salad" into each basil leaf.
- Place tomato slice on the top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g