Sweet Potato Cakes
By Michelle Dryburgh & Jahmin Daga at The Real Foodies
Sweet potato is super nutritious and a great addition to any diet. This recipe takes the traditional potato patty or cake, and transforms it in to a gluten free, dairy free, Paleo recipe.
- 4 cups of sweet potatoes
- 4 TBS of almond meal
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of diced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup coconut oil, for frying
- Chop ends off of sweet potato, peel, cut into thick chunks, place into saucepan. Pour boiling water over sweet potato, cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Shred sweet potato into a bowl using a processor or grater.
- Add in the almond meal, eggs, onion, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper, mix with a fork and roll into balls.
- Heat coconut oil or ghee in frying pan. Place sweet potato balls in the pan and flatten with egg flip to form the ‘potato cakes’.
- Shallow fry for 2 minutes, or until firm enough to flip.
- Cook on other side for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pat dry with paper towel.
**For nut allergies and school lunches: replace almond meal with tapioca starch.
Michelle is a journalist and food writer with coeliac/celiac disease. Jahmin is a hotel manager who loves food. Both live in Queensland, Australia and have a passion for healthy food. Check out the Real Foodies on Instagram for their enticing recipes.